Monday, June 6, 2011

Anime Summer 2011 Season Preview

The thing about anime blogs that I love the most is season previews. The chart and information is one thing, and while each person's opinion differ to one individual to another, it kinda helps to hear what generally most people think about a certain series and all.

Still, at the end of the day, those opinions don't really decide what anime I ended up watching. Instead, it usually helps in pushing those animes that I will DEFINITELY not touch on a ten foot pole away from me.

Which is a good thing.

I know I'm missing out on a lot of great anime the past seasons (the last season I really follow the anime is Summer last year? D:) but as I'm now at home and it's holiday so it might just be the right time to get into the frenzies again.

It helps that THE one anime I've been waiting is finally here! \O/

Aside from that though, Summer 2011 seems to be choke full of surprises, with lots of stuffs I never sees them coming, but that does not mean it is not welcomed. In fact, it makes the whole season much more exciting~!

Check the Neregate's chart for the full list of the line-up~

(Originally I want to put the chart here but unfortunately some problems occurred so yeah~)

Anyways, this is my thought on all the series. Bear in mind that this is my first impression, I might end up watching the anime that I thought I wouldn't (a couple of them manage to become my favorite and that definitely caught me by surprise).

Also, except for the series that already familiar with me most of the series are relatively unknown (I'm not that dedicated to check on all of them at the first place) so my impressions are basically based on summary, promo pic, and the studio.

(The blatant lack of pictures is due to my fail with Blogger, so do refer the chart/Google for the pics)

Here it goes, then.



Series

1) Appleseed XIII

Thought:
I first exposed to Appleseed via a poster in my uncle's room years ago, and it always managed to intrigued me in some ways or another, but until today aside from the idea that it is mostly CGI I knew next to nothing about it. The fact that it just intrigued me is not enough, unfortunately.

Verdict:

Not watching. May do so if and only if it is highly recommended.

2) Blade

Thought:
I'm not a big fan on Marvel comics and as much as I love Madhouse, the whole Marvel collaboration has not been able to make a decent impression. The horror that is Iron Man (I cannot even finish the first episode!) haunts me enough to push this one (too) away. Surprisingly Wolverine (which aired on Winter season I think?) is being shown on local television here. Caught it one time and cannot help cackling. <--This.

Verdict:
Not watching. Waiting for the revival of Madhouse to bring back all the lost glory.

3) Natsume Yuujinchou-san

Thought:
THE anime that is referred to above. THE anime that had me waiting for years for sequel. THE anime that is unbeatable in terms of anticipation meter. THE anime that had me screaming when the news first came out. Yeah, you got the drill. Also, Matoba's first anime appearance = thicker and darker plot (I followed the manga faithfully until now) = PRICELESS.

Verdict:
Duh, it's obvious. Watching AND first priority for download. Will have a hard time waiting each week for sure.

4) Yuruyuri

Thought:
Summary too simple = never heard of the studio = promo pic too simple = pass

Verdict:
Not watching. Will see how it turned out first.

5) Kamisama Dolls

Thought:
Story seems interesting with murder and somewhat mystery as the driving plot. Will be keeping an eye out for this. Also another one from Brains' Base (along with THE anime) this season.

Verdict:
Might watching. Will download the first episode to see how it goes.

6) Usagi Drop

Thought:
Story seems okay enough and the premise is not my usual cup of tea but there's high recommendation from people who've followed the manga so it perks my interest a bit. Production I.G will produce this so there's no worries much on animation quality. Wait, Noitamina slot? Josei genre? Okay, bring it in.

Verdict:
It's Noitamina. Full stop. Definitely watching.

7) Blood-C

Thought:
I have the full Blood+ anime and also the movie but never get around to watch them. I did watched a couple of episode of Blood+ when it was aired on Animax before so I have the general idea of what the story is about. This'll be CLAMP's original anime version and the all-star team in production staff gives high expectation. Production I.G sure seems to be on roll this season. Depends on this maybe I'll get around to finish the 50+ episode of Blood+.

Verdict:
Watching. CLAMP is among my favorite for a reason. The promo pic is gorgeous.

8) No.6

Thought:
Sci-fi setting + Pretty promo pics + Interesting plot + Bones + Noitamina = SOLD.

Verdict:
Watching. This looks too awesome to miss. Noitamina makes it a double plus.

9) Mayo Chiki

Thought:
Butler that is not Sebastien Michaellis and boy-is-actually-girl recycled plot. Pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. It must be damn funny and good to make me watch it.

10) Ikoku Meiro no Croisée

Thought:
This kinda reminds me of Gosick from Summer season last year I think? (in terms of girls-in-1800s-foreign-land kind of setting) and while I have the interest in the latter I don't get around to download nor watch it before bad reviews wipe the thoughts away. In one way this seems interesting and the promo pic looks nice but I'm afraid I don't have time for it this season. Shame, really.

Verdict:
Not watching. Will check the reviews though to see how it goes. Still 50-50.

11) The IDOLM@STER

Thought:
Not interested with managing idol business whatsoever. Pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. Unless it really has plot, somehow.

12) Nurarihyon no Mago Second Season

Thought:
This really caught me by surprise! I followed the first season, and while the pace kinda frustrate me at times, it is still enjoyable (and tolerable). I will need my fix for shounen anime so this is well welcome.

Verdict:
Watching. Luckily I haven't started on the manga yet.

13) Itsuka Tenma no Kuro-Usagi

Thought:
'Reverse school fantasy' and 'poison' and 'female vampire' and Zecxs studio. Pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. If it turns out good then maybe I'll change my mind, though I doubt it will.

14) R-15

Thought:
OMG What is this I don't even-

Verdict:
DEFINITELY not watching. Not with a ten foot pole!

15) Kaitou Tenshi Twin Angel -Kyun-Kyun Tokimeki Paradise!!

Thought:
Uh...I'm too old for Sailormoon-esque anime.

Verdict:
Not watching. Give it to the kids, really.

16) Morita-san wa Mukuchi

Thought:
'...exceedingly gentle and thoughtful, to the point that she does not say much of anything to anyone.' What's the point of the series, then?

Verdict:
Not watching. Unless it has plot, because really, I cannot think of any point at all.

17) Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Nii

Thought:
Another one that caught me by surprise! To think that this can have second season, for seriously I never even thought of the possibility! I watched the first season on a whim and damn the show is hilarious! The slapstick comedy may be recycled too much at times but it still has it's moments. My fix for comedy is guaranteed this season~

Verdict:
Watching. If only because it never fails to amuse me how baka can Akihisa be. LOL.

18) Dantalian no Shoka

Thought:
The promo pic catches me first before anything else. Maybe the contra between the blonde guy and the dark haired girl, or it's just me, but there's mystery in the air and demons so it might be good. The studio is Gainax and well...I guess twist is to be expected. Will keep an eye of this.

Verdict:
Might watching. Will watch the first episode to see how it goes.

19) Nekogami Yaoyorozu

Thought:
I love cats. I think they're really cute, honest. But somehow for some reason I can never really seem to able to stomach all these cat-focused anime. Nyan-Koi is still untouchable and is in the list of anime-I-might-delete-due-to-lack-of-space. So yeah, this is the same case. Pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. If the cats are as awesome as Nyanko-sensei then maybe I'll give it a chance.

20) Mawaru Penguin Drum

Thought:
I LOLed hard at the promo pic. Like OMG What-is-this-penguin? kind of LOL. Produced by Brain Base gives it a spark of interest, not to mention the lack of summary and the messages gives it a share of mystery to me, but the fact that it is an anime project by a guy who make Sailormoon and Revolutionary Girl Utena gives me the benefit of doubt. If this turn out to be in the same route then I'll gladly kill the interest myself.

Verdict:
Not watching. Will see what kind of story it actually is first.

21) Manyuu Hikenchou

Thought:
The whole premise of the anime effectively wipes any coherent thought in my head by the sheer ridiculous of it. That's rare I tell you.

Verdict:
Not watching by a ten foot pole. Heck this might be more ridiculous than R-15 (no.14 above)!

22) Uta no Prince-sama -Maji Love 1000%

Thought:
The title makes me LOL. I mean, what kind of name is that? At least Starry Sky sounds better, and I'd learned my lesson from it either. Pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. I'd had enough.

23) Kami-sama no Memochou

Thought:
Another girl detective story, except this time she's a NEET. The fact that this is from J.C Staff might actually means that it's good. Maybe. Too bad like Ikoku Meiro no Croisée (no.10 above) I don't have time for it this season. It is also kinda ironic that both the anime gives a Gosick vibe, this being the girl-detective setting. Heh.

Verdict:
Not watching. Will see from the reviews how it turn out.

24) Nyanpire the Animation

Thought:
Oh dear, cat + vampire = Nyanpire? Gonzo, why do you have to make a comeback with this? WHY?!

Verdict:
Not watching. Shame, really, Gonzo.

25) Tantei Opera Milky Holmes Special

Thought:
I don't even bother with the series, so I won't even bother with the special. I prefer my Detective Conan series as Holmes thank you very much.

Verdict:
Not watching. Really, should I even bother?

26) Ro-Kyu-Bu

Thought:
*Sigh* Pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. Hell, I can't even come up with stuff to write on the thought part!

27) Sacred Seven

Thought:
Superhero stuffs...though the premise can be promising. Still, not really my cup of tea, pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. Unless it turns out really interesting.

OVA

1) Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

Thought:
LIKE HELL YES!! This is one anime that make me crack up so much it's crazy. I still cannot watch the first 3 minutes of the first episode without laughing until my stomach hurts. Everything about this show is love and this is one anime that I will never thought before watching it to be in my list of favorites. It helps I really like Ayumu. Guy is cool (in his own way).

Verdict:
Definitely watching. Heck, it'll be awesome if this gets second season!

EDIT:
So I checked my Twitter feed this morning and found this news that left my jaw hanging for a second or two before almost screaming,'OMG WHAT AM I PSYCHIC?! THEY REALLY GETS SECOND SEASON!!'. I mean, really, I have not even the slightest idea on the news when I wrote that last night, how awesome is that?

2) Baby Princess 3D Paradise 0 [Love]

Thought:
Uh...even the title sounds corny. Story? I'll pretend I never read that crap.

Verdict:
Not watching. I don't even know the story, after all.

3) Fairy Tail : Youkoso Fairy Hills!!

Thought:
I followed the manga for quite some time before lack of time cause me to drop it somewhere along the way. When the anime comes I still don't find it in me to pick the series back up. It's a shame but I don't think this OVA will be successful with me either.

Verdict:
Not watching. Unless I get to continue the manga, which is highly unlikely.

4) Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori -Break on the Sky-

Thought:
I watched the series when it aired on Animax years ago and I remembered being a somewhat fan for awhile but that's just about it. Pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. It's been awhile after all.

5) Kiss x Sis

Thought:
They are still making this crap? I'm so surprised that it's not even funny anymore.

Verdict:
Not watching. No. And never will.

6) Katteni Kaizou

Thought:
As I was typing this my download is still waiting for the torrent file. The story is something like Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei (in terms of eccentricity I guess) which I'm planning to watch one day, and it is also from SHAFT. Heck, I still think the absurd description of the story here that makes me download it.

Verdict:
Watching. I'm already downloading it, what do you expect?

7) Black Lagoon -Roberta's Blood Trail

Thought:
Never watched the series. Though I do have the first episode of it somehow. Don't ask, I don't know how I come to have it either.

Verdict:
Not watching. Simple, right?

8) Softenni

Thought:
Never watched the series, not even planning to do so.

Verdict:
Not watching, of course.

9) Hellsing Ultimate : Episode VIII

Thought:
I really need to start watching the series. Already have it for years in the hard drive.

Verdict:
Not watching. Until I finished the series, one day.

10) Ao no Exorcist

Thought:
I have the first episode (only) and have the interest in watching it, but never really seem to get to it, somehow. Maybe I will after this. Maybe.

Verdict:
Not watching. Have to keep up with the series first.

11) Saint Seiya : The Lost Canvas -Meiou Shinwa 2nd Chapter

Thought:
I never bother with the series before. Will I now? Fat chance.

Verdict:
Not watching. Never even cross my mind.

12) Nichijou

Thought:
Never watched the series. While some say it's good, I have lots more in priority.

Verdict:
Not watching. Tough luck, I guess.

13) Yurumates Huh?

Thought:
Huh? They even make the word 'huh' in the title? Will see the reviews for this first, I guess, huh?

Verdict:
Not watching. Shame, huh?

14) Saiyuki Gaiden

Thought:
I have a mixed feeling with Saiyuki. I followed the manga before (though I cannot keep track which version, damn they have lots!) and I know I like it but I never seem to get to watch the series, whichever one that is (seriously, Saiyuki, Saiyuki Gaiden, Gunlock, what's the difference between them anyways?). I'll give this a pass but a friend is a big fan so I'll download this for her.

Verdict:
Not watching. Will download though.

15) Senjou no Valkyria 3 : Ta ga tame no Juusou

Thought:
I watched the first episode of the series but never seem to get to finish is yet, so until I get that done and over with I'll think about this one.

Verdict:
Not watching. For now, that is.

16) Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!

Thought:
I never bother with all the Onii-chan series. Never will do so either. Pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!

17) Appleseed XIII

Thought:
I already explained this on the series (no.1 above) so there's no repeating myself.

Verdict:
Not watching. Same condition as the series.

18) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kira -File.01

Thought:
I never watched Higurashi. Not even a single episode of the franchise, despite it being so popular. I don't know why I didn't actually, maybe lack of interest?

Verdict:
Not watching. This OVA does not do anything to me either, so yeah.

19) Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream

Thought:
I cannot make sense of the title. I also cannot make sense of the sport that combines skating, singing, and dancing. So I guess I'm making sense by giving this a pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. Don't argue, I'm trying to make sense with myself here.

20) Maria + Holic Alive

Thought:
Never watched the series. Pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. I just cannot seem to bother enough.

21) Hakuouki Hekketsu-Roku

Thought:
Again, never watched the series. *Sigh* Pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. *Sigh* Next.

22) Carnival Phantasm

Thought:
This is the result of Tsukihime + Fate/Stay Night. While I watched both series before when they were aired at Animax, I'm not really a fan of both of it. Okay, maybe a slight fan of Tsukihime but I don't like Fate very much. So combine the two? Nah, I'll pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. Cannot bring myself to do so anyways.

23) Kuttsukiboshi

Thought:
Oh~ Finally an obvious one. And an obvious pass for me.

Verdict:
Not watching. Like obviously, of course.

24) Vitamin x Addiction

Thought:
Gokusen dating-sim style. *Gasp* You're ruining the teaching spirit of Yamaguchi!

Verdict:
Not watching. I don't want to get haunt by Yamaguchi and the whole yakuza-clan. Uh-huh.

Movies

1) Sengoku Basara - The Last Party

Thought:
I watched both season of Basara and had been anticipating this movie ever since (not as much as Natsume but still) and just when I'm giving up the news is out! I'm not sure what's going to happen in this movie but as long as Date Masamune and Sanada Yukimura is there I'll just enjoy the ride!

Verdict:
Definitely watching. PUT YA GUNZ ON~!!!

2) Towa no Quon

Thought:
I read the description of the movie somewhere and it sounds interesting enough to make me recognize the promo pic in the chart. Something supernatural I guess. And it's Bones. Sold.

Verdict:
Watching. Will keep an eye out for it for sure.

3) Sora no Otoshimono : Tokei-jikake no Angeloid

Thought:
I had both season for the series, but somehow it does not click well with me that I deleted it off my laptop. I don't regret it at all, to say the least.

Verdict:
Not watching. If I happen to have this one I will delete it off too, as a matter of fact.

4) Fullmetal Alchemist : Milos no Sei-Naru Hoshi

Thought:
Ah~ FMA. The 'editor' is squeling when she saw this on the list. I'm yet to finish Brotherhood and the manga (though the parts that I watched is the last 10 episode, so I already know the ending hahaha) but somehow I find myself anticipating this as well (must be because I already know what happened at the end anyways orz) so will download for sure. The friend that likes Saiyuki is an even bigger FMA fan so there's 2 people to share the excitement.

Verdict:
Watching. Will be high in priority too to avoid death threat from the 2 fans orz

5) Kokuriko-Zaka Kara

Thought:
This is the only stuff in this line-up that I have no idea what's it's all about except the promo pic and that it's from Studio Ghibli. Maybe I'm giving Ghibli too much credit, but it remains a fact that their movies are nothing short of great (Spirited Away remains my favorite anime movie of all time so far, and I watched that before I even know what anime is).

Verdict:
Watching. Heck, their credibility alone drives me to this decision, how awesome is that?

6) Gekijoban Pocket Monster Best Wishes!
1-Victini to Kuroki Eiyu Zekrom
2-Victini to Kuroki Eiyu Reshiram

Thought:
This is actually 2 movies but since I have the same opinion about the two of them I'll jsut combine them here. I have 2 friends who really love the series and I'm sure they will be delighted for this. And I am willing to help them find the movies link or anything when it's out, but I'm making it clear here that I will not be the one to download it. Not in a million years. You people know me well enough to know that the monsters are never going to be a friend of mine.

Verdict:
Definitely not watching. This is Pokemon, for God's sake. No. Definitely no.

7) Heart no Kuni no Alice -Wonderful Wonder World-

Thought:
I came across the manga once before and while the premise is nothing short of interesting and unique, I never get around to read them. Which is why I'm somewhat glad that the movie is here, for I can watch it first and get to the manga (maybe) later. Here's hoping that it will be worth it and does not make me compare it with 'Are You Alice?' by Ninomiya Ai, another Alice in Wonderland theme manga which is the best in using the theme so far IMO.

Verdict:
Watching. I guess Alice in Wonderland is really loved in Japan, there's a lot of adaptation for it.

8) Naruto Shippuuden : Blood Prison

Thought:
I followed Naruto for years, until at some point I drop it off due to time constraint and all (I drop a lot at the time; Bleach, Fairy tail, Bakuman, Kekkaishi, FMA to name a few) and just like the other series, I never get around to continue where I left them. But while the others may have the chance of being picked up again, I can't see myself doing the same for Naruto. It's just that it has become so big and so long that I can no longer rationalize myself reading it again. Shame, really, but some things are just not fit anymore as time goes by. Same may goes for Bleach, though the feeling is not as much as Naruto. If I do pick it up again, I might read it back from the very beginning, so as to get into it again, but it'll take time so for now, I'm giving this a pass.

Verdict:
Not watching. And I guess I really liked Naruto after all; that's freaking long!

9) Mahou Sensei Negima! Anime Final

Thought:
It feels somewhat ironic that I'm writing about an anime final when I never even watched a single episode of the series. I heard about this a lot, but maybe it does not come across me as interesting much.

Verdict:
Not watching. Had to admit that the hair in the promo pic is awesomely epic though.

10) Hayate no Gotoku! Heaven is a Place on Earth

Thought:
Another anime like Sora no Otoshimono (no.3 above) that I had both season of the series and does not click well with me for some reason. It's funny, have to admit that but I don't know, maybe it comes off as somewhat boring at certain times. I only get as far as 5 episode (I think) for the first season before I deleted both seasons of my laptop.

Verdict:
Not watching. As awesome Hayate is, he is not Sebastien Michaellis, so yeah.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah~ and that's the end of the first impression review and damn it's LONG! I started typing this at 3:17PM and ended at 11.56PM, which is, yeah, a LONG time as well (no I'm not typing non-stop, that's crazy).

So from the full list the one I will and might watch is as below (not in any anticipation order, as most are almost the same, except for the Top 3 and the 2 series in the might-watching list);

Series=9
OVA =2
Movies =4

01-Natsume Yuujinchou-san (this is so obvious)
02-Sengoku Basara -The Last Party-
03-Blood-C
04-Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? OVA
05-Fullmetal Alchemist: Milos no Sei-Naru Hoshi
06-No.6
07-Nurarihyon no Mago Second Season
08-Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Nii
09-Usagi Drop
10-Heart no Kuni no Alice
11-Katteni Kaizou
12-Towa no Quon
13-Kokuriko-Zaka kara
14-Kamisama Dolls
15-Dantalion no Shoka

Cheers for the (hopefully) awesome season of anime! \O/

....Although I seriously need to clear a LOT of space in the laptop come July. Brilliant. OTL

~The damn-so-tired-of-typing-as-there's-a-lot-of-spelling-error Heiji.

Music of the Day: Mew - Repeaterbeater

[It's been 2 weeks and my playlist is still full of Mew. Heck, this song is my new ringtone now.]

No comments:

Post a Comment