Thursday, April 3, 2014

C is for Candy Crush and Criminal Case (also Farm Heroes Saga)

Or more accurately described as the ones responsible of ruining my life on daily basis. I mean, I don't remember when I actually start playing those, (though Candy Crush is the one that start the chain reaction) but I'll be damned if they're not addictive as hell.

(As of typing this I got stuck on one level in Candy Crush -typical, I say-, waiting for energy to accumulate in Criminal Case and waiting for help to clear the roadblock in Farm Heroes Saga. Go figure.)

Perhaps it's not farfetched to say that these games are the reason I even open my Facebook lately. Like, my profile is filled to the brim with game notifications as statuses and my home page is even shaping up to be one, to my horror.

Which leads to me musing as I shaping up this post in my head; since when did Facebook become not a social network but a game platform? Don't get me wrong, Facebook IS a social network first and foremost, but to some people (read: me) it might be more on gaming and less on the socializing.



It doesn't help that I have a bad memory when it comes to recognizing people; there's a supposed-to-be high school classmates who added me recently and I can't for the life of me remembering that person OTL which leads me to wonder if he/she actually knows me or not (I used a different name and an anime character as profile picture, ha). I still confirm the friend request (of course), and leave a simple message (thanks for the add!) but that's about it.

Maybe it's just me that sucks so bad in socializing with people I supposed to know, because I can go on and on with people I don't know about anime and music. You don't want to get caught when I'm in fangirling mode, seriously.

Anyways.

I wrote a sorta heartfelt post about Friendster and social network way back in 2011 and now, it's 2014 and I'm having another bout of feels, only to find that I am not that much different from those times. Like, had it not been all the games, Facebook might be another Friendster to me; forgotten and ignored (in a sense, that's what's happening to my Twitter now).

Is it just me and social networking? Or is it inevitable? People drift apart, yes, and I'm not the type to go out of my way to connect with people in general, but is it plain ignorance on my part?

I am an awkward person. I have no problem admitting to that, because it's kinda obvious anyways. Some may say I'm quite a loner, and that, too, is not that far off either. Guess it's in my nature somehow, as people generally sees me as a somewhat quiet person.

(For the record I wrote these 3 years ago, and some may say I don't grow up at all, since I still identify these words strongly with myself, but I'm happy the way I am, and personally, I think that's what matters most; to be comfortable with who you are.)

And now, I think, no matter what function Facebook becomes, so long as it manage to (somewhat) connect me with people, regardless of how far and between it is, it remains a social network through and through, and I for one am grateful for it.

Or maybe I should be thankful (or blaming) my addiction to all those Facebook games in the first place for my current predicament. Seriously, if you don't play them, good for you. If you think of trying, beware of it's high potential to ruin your life. If you already start and can't stop, maybe you can add me and we can be game buddies? Just saying.

Regardless, I think that so long this addiction remains, I'll be a common user of Facebook, and whether this is a good thing or not, I like to think that it's the last tangible rope that connects me with people lest I go and drop off the face of the internet. (lol as if I'll do that, though it'll be harder to reach me since I just lurk anywhere and everywhere if that do so happen, perhaps.)

For now, I'll play the games, and maybe, just maybe, talk to people more.

God knows I'm too much a recluse of a person.

Oh, well.

Till then,

|_・)

~the professional-internet-lurker Heiji

Music of the Day: Seo Taiji - F.M Business



No comments:

Post a Comment